Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cover Band Sticks and Stones/Aphrodite Mai Tai

Quick post for tonight ~ watching Mad Men with the hubby!  :)
I wanted a simple indie polish and this one caught my eye - a red jelly with tiny silver glitter and small red hexagons.  Two careful coats would have worked, but I was sloppy, so I ended up doing two coats, one of Diamont, one more coat of Mai Tai and then one more coat of Diamont.  Five coats already!

 
I love red polish, but I decided to spruce it up with Sticks and Stones.  One coat covers very generously and I personally think less is more when it comes to glitter top coats.  I had to clip a few of the bar glitters with my nail clippers and even with two coats of topcoat, there was still a lot of texture!  Eight coats = mani fail!!  :(


I think I'll be selling Cover Band.  Just not my thing.... 

10 comments:

  1. I just got my bottle of Mai Tai in the mail yesterday! I agree that it is surprisingly more red than I expected but still very pretty. I love the look of the black and white on top of it too, great mani. I might have to try a similar look with Dollish Polish Team Salvatore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore Mai Tai a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very pretty but I understand your desire to add something else.

    Whenever I put some heavy glitter I always put a coat of Gelous or Glitter Tammer and then a coat of seche vite. It almost always does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did get a mini bottle of SV with one of my indie orders, and it does work well, but I just don't like that it has formaldehyde in it! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seche Vite doesn't have formaldehyde, it's the toluene that most people are concerned with. Short of drinking it or intentionally inhaling the fumes (tolune was a popular inhalent drug at one point) its only dangerous in large quantities. There's so little toluene in SV I don't worry about using it. I've been exposed to worse things in chem lab. :-P

      Delete
  4. Ah..toluene, that is it! Thanks for the clarification.
    Still, it stinks pretty bad to me; I don't think I could regularly stomach it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read somewhere (sorry don't have the source) that toluent and Seche Vite should not be used while pregnant and is not recommended with children... I love it for my manicures but I will admit that I HATE the smell :(

      Delete
  5. That is a valid concern. I usually switch between SV and Poshe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually use Nubar Diamont and it works well, but for some of the indie glitters, it doesn't work quite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so envious you have sticks and stones!!! I cannot get enough of how versatile and unique this glitter is.
    I just bought a 'mock' version of this on etsy (my very first indie-ish shade) ... I cannot way to take it for a test ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be swap polish #2 if you want! :)

      Delete